"I was bitten must have been the devil"

Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 1 in the NFL

Okay, here we go! Football came back with the Giants and Cowboys on Wednesday night, but it just didn't feel right, it still felt like exhibition. Sunday football returns and we have some great early games to kick things off.
This is the hardest week to pick games and I'm 0-1 so far, hopefully that isn't a trend.

Indianapolis Colts at Chicago Bears- I saw and liked what Luck did this preseason, he looked good, but that was preseason. Actually, my concern for Indy in this game I isn't their offense but the defense. I think Luck and Wayne can hook up against the Bears, even with Peppers ready to welcome the rookie QB with some sacks. I just think Chicago's offense will prove too much. I'm taking the Bears at home, but close, 23-17.

Philadelphia Eagles at Cleveland Browns- I hate to see Philly win ever, but, I don't see the Browns giving them any problems. Eagles should roll decently 28-10

St.Louis Rams at Detroit Lions- I don't know about those Rams, but I do know what Stafford and Johnson can do. I think with a new coach we will see an improved Rams team but that defense leaves something to be desired, and they don't have DC Greg Williams anymore. Gotta say Lions here, 30-21.

New England Patriots at Tennessee Titans- Brady and co. are ready to defend that AFC title and they have all the ingredients on offense to do it. The Titans can hang, no doubt about that but the Pats are too much for them to handle. Pats 27-24.

Atlanta Falcons at Kansas City Chiefs- This is a do or die year for the Falcons, and they have the fire power to do. The Chiefs do have a very good defense and an even better home field advantage. I think I like an upset here...I do. I'm going with KC to start 1-0 with a nail biter 17-16 win over ATL.

Jacksonville Jaguars at Minnesota Vikings- The only big thing about this game is one team will know they won't go 0-16. I don't think the Jags are a very good team this year, maybe 5 wins, but I don't like the Vikes and won't be picking them often. They still have some tough players on D but so do the Jags. Taking Jacksonville 20-12 over Minn.

Washington Redskins at New Orleans Saints- Welln, at least NY won't be the only 0-1 team in the East. RG who? Who dat? Sorry Bobby, there's only room for one standout QB in New Orleans on Sunday and his team also has blitz happy Spags coaching defense. Saints romp it up, 30-17.

Buffalo Bills at New York Jets- The Bills are my wild card pick this year, the team that gives everyone a fit. To counter that, the Jets are coming in with a very nice looking defense. This game could be ugly. Fitzpatrick will have a fit dealing with Revis, Cromartie and Landry but what can the Jets do on offense? Maybe one trick offensive play gets things going for them but I think Buffalo will keep Sanchez and Tebow under wraps. Buffalo 13-9.

Miami Dolphins at Houston Texans- The Dolphins are going to perform an amazing act this year, something that defies physics...they will manage to both suck and blow this year. I can't see this team winning 3 games, let alone one in Houston. Texans 24-6.

San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers- Ah, the NFC title game that didn't happen. The last time the Pack stepped onto the field at Lambau they stunk, they collapsed in the second half and let a big NYG offense make big play after big play. They used their first 6 draft picks for defense and look to suck much less in pass coverage this year. I don't watch them enough, so I don't know if the issue was the db's or that they got no pressure on the QB. I do know that Eli had all day to hit wide open receivers in that playoff game so maybe it was both. The 9ers meanwhile, don't play a big offense but have the nastiest D in the NFC and they will keep it close. But, my gut is with GB in a good game. Packers 27-20.

Seattle Seahawks at Arizona Cardinals- The Seahawks could be a surprise team this year and really give SF a run for their money in the West. The Cards are still looking for the QB to replace Warner. I like Seattle to start out fast this year with a 24-13 win in Arizona.

Carolina Panthers at Tampa Bay Bucs- Many sports writers are taking the Panthers as the team on the rise this year. I've seen some pick them to win the South! Over the Saints and Falcons!? Yeah, I don't think so. I do think they are worlds better than the Bucs, who can play a very nice defense but just don't have that punch to win when it counts. The Bucs could be a 6 win team and even get a nice upset or two, but not here. Panthers 20-14.

Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos- The Broncos shocked Pitt in the playoffs and they no longer have the QB that did it...instead they have Peyton Manning. The Steelers don't have their explosive running back, but we also don't know the strength Manning has in that arm. Close, close game but with Peyton anything can happen. He can and has picked apart the Steelers D when needed but can he handle 50 pass attempts still? I'm going with Manning, and this could go either way because of the unknowns. Denver 23-21.

Cincinnati Bengals at Baltimore Ravens- The NFL schedule makers have really packed Week 1 with must see games and it continues on Monday night with two talented division rivals. I don't think Cincy was a fluke last year, they had a nice 9 win season BUT they went 0-4 against division kings Baltimore and Pittsburgh. The Ravens were seconds away from facing NY in the Super Bowl last year and they are one of those teams that dominates every year then struggles in post season, so it is tough getting a feeling on them. I do like the Ravens at home, always. They are a team that can go 8-0 at home, and I think they did last year...hmm, I'm 99% sure they did. Anyway, the good times continue but Cincy shows some muscle. If you love defensive football you must see this game. Ravens 19-14.

San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders- What to say? I don't know. I just don't know. Flip a coin for me on this one, heads for Raiders, tails for the Bolts......Heads. I'm not sure about Carson tho, he didn't seem like himself but I like the Raiders D and running game. The Raiders 27-23.

I'm just hoping to get above .500 for this opening week. If the games are this good in Week 1 it is going to be a great season.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment